Hello Cape Town,
In the wake of the vicious racially motivated attacks that have shaken and shamed Cape Town my mind has been in turmoil. How do I respond to this, as a white South African male, as a writer, as a Capetonian? How can I re-examine the city? I wrote, returning to reflections and a short story I wrote in 2007 as a springboard to articulate the inchoate feelings in me. The result is the seed for a new production and a collaboration with the brilliant Jason Potgieter.
We’re looking for two male performers between 20 and 40 years for And Other Events (working title). Written by Jon Keevy and adapted and directed for the stage by Jason Potgieter. This is a play about race and rage and the city, performed mainly though voice work so we are looking for strong vocal performers interested in tackling a tough subject.
- Email your CV & headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an audition. Only by confirmed appointment please. Regretfully we may not be able to see everyone because of time constraints. We also can not do skype or taped auditions.
- Candidates must prepare a poem of their choice for presentation. Limericks and Haiku excluded. Unless you can make it work.
- Audition duration is 15 – 20 minutes.
- This session will be split into solo presentation and working in a pair with another auditioning performer.
- We are looking for: Strong vocal quality (clarity, projection, energy), varied local accents; ability to evoke and sustain audio-imagery through voice; playfulness and willingness to devise vocal mis-en-scene collaboratively; realistic, goofy, OTT and irreverent sound effects / vocal graphics.
- Being able to sing in varying styles is a plus.
- Candidates must be vocally warmed up for the start of the audition. So do your tongue twisters in the car, on the bus or on the train, or on foot – the looks you’ll get are great research.
- Candidates should bring a hard copy of their CV & headshot.
- Auditions to be held at the Alexander Bar Upstairs Theatre 76 Strand street CBD
- Saturday 13th December between 10am – 2pm
- Successful candidates will be notified by Monday 15th December
- Performance dates: 10 – 21 February (10 performances, may be extended)
- Rehearsal period: 17 December – 12 February
- Remuneration: Rehearsals will be R40per hour. Performance will be 25% of the gross (judging by other Alexander bar shows should be R3000 – R5000)
- Possible further runs.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, please share with anyone you feel would be interested.